You might see a clogged drain pipe in your sink and think Drainex might just clear it. Or the toilet bowl is blocked and you stick a plunger in and it works. So, you assume that everything is going alright. But these clogs and blockages are symptoms of some underlying problems which you need professional plumber to look at. Be proactive and have find a prospective professional plumber you can deal with if something happens.
The 7 Most Common Plumbing Problems in Singapore
1. Dripping Faucets –
Not only are they an annoyance, they also pump up your water bill too
2. A running toilet –
This can happen when the float is not balanced or the fill tube has loosened.
3. Leaking pipe –
Unconcealed leaking pipes can be easily fixed but concealed pipes are an issue and a Professional Plumber is the best person who would know how to fix it
4. A clogged drain –
This is the number one plumbing call out reason. Usually a drain cleaner or a plunger will give you a temporary fix. Ensure that you call a plumber immediately to check the drains. To prevent future chokes, put a filter on the drain,
5. A choked toilet bowl –
Following the same principles as the clogged drain, use a drain cleaner or a plunger to clear the choke; follow up with a plumber to check for the underlying problem.
6. Low water pressure –
Low water pressure can be from sediment build up in the faucet or shower heads. If after cleaning them and the water pressure is still low, this needs to be checked by a plumber
7. Water Heater problems –
If the heater is not producing enough hot water or the water is not hot enough you need a plumber to check the water heater’s element.
Now that we’ve mentioned the most common plumbing problems in Singapore let’s have a look at what services plumber provide to you.
Professional Plumbers Provide the following services to you:
1. Repair choked or clogged drains or pipes in your home
2. When your pipe has a leak, or has burst
3. Fix faulty taps when they would not turn off properly or are too tight to turn on
4. Cistern repair if your cistern is broken or the pumps are playing up
5. Find and repair concealed leaks especially in maisonettes where the bathroom floor had not been sealed properly during renovation and the water is now seeping through the floor. This could cause the floor to collapse. They can prevent that from happening by sealing the leak.
6. Water heater installation and repair
7. Toilet bowl replacement and conversion
Why Hire a Professional Plumber?
Firstly, let’s not get confused with the handyman who advertise their services in the newspapers, we are talking about registered plumbers who we refer to as Professional Plumbers. These professional plumbers are plumbers who are registered with the Public Utilities Board (P.U.B). So here are some reasons why you should not do your own plumbing and hire a Professional Plumber.
1. They are professionals who have been doing their jobs for many years and what will take us hours to do might only take them minutes and you can go about your day without causing further damage. It’s absolutely fine to change your own shower heads or bathroom fittings yourself if you know how to do it but leave the difficult stuff for the professionals. Even if the job does look simple, remember that you are not the expert in this field. The plumber will be able to diagnose the problem much quicker and get it fixed faster too.
2. Emergency Plumbing Services are provided by most professional plumbers and it is a great service that they provide as you will never know when you need them.
3. Professional and reputable plumbing companies upgrade their tools to ensure that they have the latest technology and equipment to help them resolve plumbing problems faster
4. It is also cost efficient as there is no need to purchase DIY materials to do your fixing as the plumber has it all
What to look for when choosing a Professional Plumber?
There are many good Registered plumbers with The P.U.B in Singapore however you need to be able to connect with your plumber so that there is a great working relationship. If you are stuck, these are some pointers to look out for when choosing a plumber to work with.
1. Check how long they have been in the industry.
The longer they have been, the better reputation (or not) they have and the better quality their workmanship will be due to their experience.
2. Do they offer 24/7 service.
In general, all P.U.B licenced plumbers have 24/7 service so ensure that your plumber offers you that service. You don’t want to be left out in the rain especially when your toilet breaks in the night
3. Does your plumber offer a warranty?
Many plumbers these days offer a warranty for the work they do, this is very re-assuring as it shows that they have confidence in the work they do and it should give you a peace of mind too.
4. Services they offer.
Does the plumber offer a wide range of services including renovation work (just forward thinking should you want to renovate in future)? Do they offer a wide array of services?
5. Are they reasonably priced?
How do their prices compare to other leading plumbers? If there are within 5% of the market rate, they are reasonably priced.
Using a Professional Registered Plumber is a better way to go than tackling the plumbing issues in the home yourself. Be proactive and find a plumber you can work with now before something goes wrong in your home. Clogged drains and choked toilet bowls are the most common plumbing complaints in Singapore. Though you could temporarily fix it with drain cleaner and a plunger, there is a need to call a plumber to unblock the source of the problem. It is important to find a plumber you can work with on a long-term basis. Find a plumber who offers a wide range of services, provides emergency call out services and is comparably priced. Be proactive and find your plumber now.